Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dreams of Yesteryear Joins Highway 51

Dreams of Yesteryear has just signed on to partner with the WI Department of Tourism in their Explore Highway 51 Package. Check out this website for lots of information about how you can explore Highway 51: http://www.explorehwy51.com/

I know having grown up in Stevens Point, WI, Highway 51 has played a big part in my life. I was raised in a home on Wadleigh Street only blocks from downtown Stevens Point. However, not many relatives lived in town. A visit to either set of grandparents or most of my 14 aunts and uncles or 42 cousins meant a trip north on Highway 51. So this is the part of Highway 51 I got to know best. As I got older and could do more traveling, it seemed nearly every trip we took started up or down Highway 51. There was always something neat to see and explore. No trip was complete without stopping for lunch at some neat little "Mom and Pop" restaurant or exploring some gift shop in a quaint little town. I still enjoy driving down Old Highway 51 along the Wisconsin River. So, needless to say, I have many fond memories of traveling this historic highway.
As my part to encourage you to explore Highway 51, Dreams of Yesteryear is offering discounts on two night stays. In addition if you book a suite for two nights, we'll not only give you the discount but will also include a Dreams of Yesteryear tee-shirt. Check out our offers on the Highway 51 website. But, to qualify for this offer, you must mention that you are part of the Exploring Highway 51 Package at the time you book your room. My husband Bill and I look forward to meeting you and reminiscing about Highway 51.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Cheri said…

    Hi Bonnie...my husband and I are considering purchasing a historic home on 3.3 beautiful acres. We've remodeled several homes, love antiques and all things "old". I know I would love running a B&B...but hubby still needs some convincing.

    I'd love to hear your thoughts. The good, the bad & the ugly, as they say.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Dreams of Yesteryear said…

    Hi Cheri,
    There's a lot of "good" about running a B&B. Otherwise, my husband and I would not have been doing this for 17 years. You meet the nicest people. It gives you a very broad look at the world through other people. There is no subject that is sacred here. You'd be surprised at what comes out at the breakfast table and who knows who . . .
    The "bad" is that it does tie you down. And, it's a lot of work. I think people go into the B&B business with a very romantic notion of what life would be like if they owned a B&B. The romance wears off when you're washing sheets and toilet bowls on a Sunday afternoon--unless, of course, you're lucky like me and have good help.
    I don't know that there is an "ugly" side to this business. B&B's attract a different clientele then a Motel 6 kind of lodging facility. The guests are usually quite willing to chat, to share, to try something a little different.
    I don't know that this helps at all. If you're serious about getting into this business, the Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast has a wonderful packet of information for aspiring innkeepers. I definitely recommend you get in touch with them. Let me know if I can help.
    Cheers,
    Bonnie

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is great. You really did a good job thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home